The Lipsi Symi ferry route connects Dodecanese Islands with Dodecanese Islands and is currently operated by 2 ferry companies. The Blue Star Ferries service runs up to 1 times per week with a sailing duration of around 7 hours while the Dodekanisos Seaways service runs up to 4 times per week with a duration from 3 hr 20 min.
So that’s a combined 5 sailings on offer per week on the Lipsi Symi route between Dodecanese Islands and Dodecanese Islands. Compare now and get the best fare at the time that you want to travel.
The Greek island of Lipsi, also sometimes called Leipsoi, is part of the Dodecanese group of islands. It is located close to the island of Patmos and the island of Leros, and lies to the south of the island of Samos and to the north of the island of Leros. The island can trace its history back to prehistoric times, however, the more modern settlements of the island were founded by a Cretan called Ilias in 1669. The island has a large area that extends to around 16 sq. km, with a coastline of 35 km and around 700 inhabitants, and was officially united with Greece in 1948.
There are a number of things to see and do on the island including the lovely church of Aghios Ioannis, Theologos which is located next to the square of the Town Hall and the Museum. Located within the church there is an icon of Panaghia the Mavri (the Black Madonna) which dates back to 1500. Also on the island is the Ecclesiastical Folklore Museum which contains some ecclesiastical relics and a small archaeological collection. Situated around 1.5 km from Lipsi Town is the Panaghia of Horos which is the only icon in Greece where the Virgin Mary is depicted holding a crucified Jesus in her arms, instead of the infant Jesus which is usually depicted. Both the monastery and the icon date back to around 1600.
Lipsi is well serviced with ferries passing between Patmos and Leros and on the main route for ferries from Piraeus.
The Greek island of Symi is one of the Southern Dodecanese and is located to the north of the island of Rhodes and is close to the coast of south west Turkey. The island is around 13 km in length, north to south, and about 8 km east to west and has a total land area of around 70 sq. km. The four main areas on the island are Yialos, which is where the island's main harbour is located, Chorio is the top town, Pedi Bay is the valley that is located below Chorio and Nimborios is the bay and settlement that lies to the north of Yialos. Also on the island is the small village of Marathounda and the Monastery at Panormitis.
There are a number of popular sites across the island and includes a number of old churches and monasteries with one worth visiting being the Church of Constantinos and Eleni on the southern slopes of the Vigla which has lovely gardens and terraces. Also on the island, and built by the Knights of St. John in the 14th century, is the Monastery of the Archangel Michael at Roukouniotis which was built on the site of a 5th century monastery, which itself was built on the site of a pre-Christian temple.